Entry into Australia
Do I require a Visa?
All visitors to Australia must have a valid visa before boarding their plane regardless of the length of stay.
Note: New Zealand and Norfolk Island passport holders do not usually need to lodge a visa application prior to their departure unless they have health and/or character concerns.
What should I do to help with the visa application process?
For the best possible chance of obtaining a visa to travel to Australia to attend an event, you should:
- Determine which visa you should apply for.
See: Find a visa
- Apply for your visa at least 6–8 weeks before your intended date of travel to Australia (or two weeks for online applications) as visa processing times may vary.
- Consider Australia's health and character requirements, which you will have to meet as part of the visa application process.
- If you are not from an eVisitor or ETA eligible country, ensure you obtain a confirmation of your registration, or a letter of invitation, to attach to your paper-based visa application.
- Lodge paper-based visa applications at the Australian visa office nearest to your current country of residence.
See: Immigration Offices Outside Australia